Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Couscous Creations

I like to pack my lunch for work. Not only does it save money, but it is also healthier....since I know exactly what I'm eating. Sometimes, it's a mad dash in the morning, to get my lunch packed before I am late for the bus.

One quick, easy and eco-conscious thing I've been doing the past few weeks is packing lil' couscous cups. I pour a little over 1/4 of a cup of golden couscous into a small glass bowl (the one-cup bowls I have are great because they have the measurements right on the side, and they even have a nice, tight cover). Then I add spices to my liking. Today, it was a curry powder with a smidge of salt-free lemon seasoning. But really, you could really use anything that strikes your fancy....even just a lil' S&P! Throw the cover on and Voila! Lunch is prepared. When it's time to eat, I fill with hot water, just below the one cup mark (you can fill with hot water from the coffee maker or throw the whole thing in the microwave).

The great thing about these little couscous cups, is since they are packed with all dry ingredients, they don't have to be used right away. You could even pack enough for the whole week, in different varieties, and keep right in your desk. Next on my agenda is a breakfast couscous, seasoned with cinnamon, currants and a tad of brown sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment