Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Most Delicious Cous Cous Salad!

I scour the internet constantly for new healthy eating ideas. And the iPad is the perfect tool for this job! I have been faithfully using the Meal Planner app since i got my iPad in December. This app is a do-it-all meal companion. Not only does it archive and organize my own recipes, but it also has an interface that will download recipes directly from several culinary and healthy eating websites. Did I mention the app also has a monthly meal planning feature, and a grocery list database that is linked to both your recipes and your meal plan? Seriously powerful. It has a couple kinks, but I email the developer, Alan, pretty religiously. I like to think he appreciates my feedback....but that, of course, is another story.


#RetroCamera FREE #CLBITZAPPSTypically, the recipes I conjur up are some incarnation of beans and rice (we vegetarians have to get our complete proteins wherever we can!). However, a quick look-see through the Whole Foods recipes (via the Meal Planner app) turned up something rather interesting: a Cous Cous & Nectarine salad! Today, I tried my hand at my own version of this salad, and I was blown away. The salad is a combination of cold and hot ingredients, which I love. The watercress is slightly wilted by the introduction of the hot cous cous. And those crunchy, buttery pistachios....divine! I made a few modifications to the original recipe I downloaded from the Whole Foods website, and herewith I share with you my version of the most delicious salad I've tasted in a long time:

3/4 cup Cous Cous, Whole Wheat
1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Nectarines, diced
1 bunch Watercress ... Stems and all, chopped
1 cup pistachios
1/4 cup Onion, finely diced
S&P

Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in cous cous, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil until dressing thickens. Add couscous, nectarines, watercress, pistachios and onion to bowl and toss to combine. Serve warm.

Nutritional Info
Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 300 calories (130 from fat), 15g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 51g total carbohydrate (9g dietary fiber, 8g sugar), 12g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment