Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother Mary & Local Radio

Anyone that knows me, knows that I am not a religious person. But the notion of religion has always fascinated me. A couple years back I was listening to the local Christian radio station. It was right around Mother's Day and they were airing a segment on the blessed Virgin Mary; really, one of the most interesting pieces I've ever heard on radio. These ideas I was hearing about Mother Mary may be commonplace to the Christians, but they really got me to thinking.

Of course Mary embodies the potential good in all mothers, but there was more to what I was hearing than just that. Sure we all associate the motherly traits of compassion and selflessness with Mother Mary. Born to be a vessel for birth, Mary gave up herself and her inherently selfish being for the mere existence of her offspring, as all mothers do, to varying degrees. The Mother Mary comforts, she loves, she is the figure of eternal hope and mercy, and she is mother to all. But Mary not only represents the ideal earthly mother that we are all born through, she also represents the mother that exists in each and every one of us, regardless of age, religion or gender.

On this Mother's Day, as we pay reverence to our mothers, wherever they may be, let's not forget our Mother Mary. Let's be sure to celebrate her very qualities that are in some way, within each and every one of us: the mother, the non-mother, the woman, the man, the child, the Christian and even the Agnostic.

No comments:

Post a Comment